What would Neytiri or Na'vi in general think about this?

Greetings,

I have a question and need the combined knowledge of you experts. I draw a comic which features mostly known characters but one guy is new.

His name is Erik Heydahl. He is of german heritage 22 years old and only losely associated with RDA. As part of german EU military he is a military diplomatic assisstant at Bridgehead.

His character is quite interesting, he is very strong and fit but also quite intelligent. Quick in problem solving and can be very creative when facing obstacles. His prime goal is to build a better future for humanity and he cares deeply for his family and people. On the other side he has almost zero respect for the Na'vi. He sees them as obstacle, nothing more than dangerous animals, to get rid off . He trusts in technology and his own superiority . The very idea to lose against the Na'vi is something he cant accept. He sees Pandora as best solution for mankinds problems and hopes to make it a new home for mankind. To the fate of the na'vi he is more or less indifferent. He doesnt want actively harm them but has zero problems in taking them hostage or to kill one if this means saving a human.

Here is a first character sketch of him that i made.

file-3.jpg

I can see you definitely have some skill in sketching; good work.

As for the character and what Neytiri and / or the Na'vi would think of him:
If seen from an outsider's view, I guess they would see him as just another Quaritch, but maybe somewhat less directly agressive and trigger-happy.

I think there should be a good in-story reason / motivation for them to think anything different of him. With limited interaction, they would probably perceive him as just another "regular invading Sky Person" at least initially.

I am not sure what role your character will play in the story you had envisioned?

I can see you definitely have some skill in sketching; good work.

As for the character and what Neytiri and / or the Na'vi would think of him:
If seen from an outsider's view, I guess they would see him as just another Quaritch, but maybe somewhat less directly agressive and trigger-happy.

I think there should be a good in-story reason / motivation for them to think anything different of him. With limited interaction, they would probably perceive him as just another "regular invading Sky Person" at least initially.

I am not sure what role your character will play in the story you had envisioned?

First i want thank you for your kind words. I used a friend as model for him and i try to make him look as close as possible to him.

You are quite right in your opinion that he appears than a less trigger happy Quaritch on first look. His intro will be on a science mission near Bridgehead. A team of scientists is out there studying the plant life but stay rather close to the transport shuttle. He is inside the shuttle reading a memo but also occasional keeping an eye on the instruments and whats outside. He then notices movements and is instantly alerted. Outside are some Na'vi youngsters hiding and watching the humans. He spots them and swears in german before changing to english, grabbing his weapon and walking to the door, putting his oxygen mask on and as the door opens he instantly starts shooting in the direction where he spotted the Na'vi.

His team members are confused but run towards the shuttle. As they enter, the door is hit by an arrow as it closes. They return to bridgehead snd are very angry with his behavior. Its obvious that he wounded one of the Na'vi, whose condition is unknown and this will further complicate the situation.

He doesnt act like this out of hate but its obvious that he fears the Na'vi as threat for himself, his friends, family and mankind in general. As confident as he is in himself and humanity...he also is very unsure of the situation. He knows in what state earth is and deep down he fears Pandora might be the only chance humanity has to survive. So he has far deeper reasons than Quaritch to act like he does. His arrogance basicly just covers insecurity and his fears. A good metaphor is a drowning person that kicks and lashs out in all directions.

He doesnt act like this out of hate but its obvious that he fears the Na'vi as threat for himself, his friends, family and mankind in general. As confident as he is in himself and humanity...he also is very unsure of the situation. He knows in what state earth is and deep down he fears Pandora might be the only chance humanity has to survive. So he has far deeper reasons than Quaritch to act like he does. His arrogance basicly just covers insecurity and his fears. A good metaphor is a drowning person that kicks and lashs out in all directions.
I see. And how would you have him develop as a character? I am assuming you asked your original question because you were trying to get a picture of what the Na'vi would think of him. If he doesn't change his attitude, then they wouldn't think twice to get rid of him if they got the chance; that is what I think.

This kind of reminds me of my own fan fiction story, where I have a character named Walter Lockwood. In his youth he was idealistic about going to Pandora and communicating with the Na'vi through music and other peaceful activities, but the situation on Earth eventually turned him into a stone cold soldier with an almost unlimited motivational drive. He basically only lives to save humanity as he sees it, but has sunken so deep that by the time he comes face to face with a (pacifistic) Na'vi, the only thing he can do is aim his weapon and coldly offer the choice of death or surrender. When the Na'vi surrenders, he takes her as a prisoner and he subsequently vents his opinions to her in a show of intimidation. It shows how far he has fallen from his original idealism.

Reactions: FarahReh
I see. And how would you have him develop as a character? I am assuming you asked your original question because you were trying to get a picture of what the Na'vi would think of him. If he doesn't change his attitude, then they wouldn't think twice to get rid of him if they got the chance; that is what I think.

This kind of reminds me of my own fan fiction story, where I have a character named Walter Lockwood. In his youth he was idealistic about going to Pandora and communicating with the Na'vi through music and other peaceful activities, but the situation on Earth eventually turned him into a stone cold soldier with an almost unlimited motivational drive. He basically only lives to save humanity as he sees it, but has sunken so deep that by the time he comes face to face with a (pacifistic) Na'vi, the only thing he can do is aim his weapon and coldly offer the choice of death or surrender. When the Na'vi surrenders, he takes her as a prisoner and he subsequently vents his opinions to her in a show of intimidation. It shows how far he has fallen from his original idealism.

That sounds very interesting because usually the first thing that dies is idealism. I would really like to read your story.<3

That said, i agree with you that most Na'vi would indeed try to get rid of Erik is they got the chance. So far im still working on his development arc and would like to tell you how his first "close encounter" with a Na'vi goes. Let me explain in short...this is the intro of his encounter, i want excuse the bad english, im not native english speaker. I am currently draw the storyboards for this but wrote down the script for you here and super happy about your opinion.

"He is very frustrated about his botched mission and the criticism he got. He decides to go alone to that area that they had to leave to retrieve some equipment. He leaves Bridgehead unauthorized and while flying encounters more and more technical issues on his craft. His left engine having a failure cascade that leads to an uncontrolled spin of the aircraft and ultimately to its crash landing in a coastal jungle region.

He is dizzy and disoriented but able to grab his breathing mask as the fuselage fills with smoke. He tries to open the door but its bend and doesnt move an inch. He notices that the back of the aircraft is burning, the right engine still running and the engines blades constantly ripping through the metal case holding it in place.

He is trapped and starts to hecticly run in few circles trying to figure out how he can get out, swearing in german / english words. He presses his shoulders against a panel and pushs with all his strength against the windowframe, desperatly pushing and kicking.

Meanwhile a group of Na'vi heared the thundering explosion sounds and the screeching engine, they carefully come closer and see the burning wreckage. They keep their distance and cant decide what to do. The group leader indicates to leave and almost all of the group move on...except one of them...she first follows her group but then slows down and diverts her route back to the wreckage...

Inside Erik is still kicking against some windowframe, when it suddenly shatters, to his suprise he is grabbed by his collar and pulled out. He stares at her with big eyes while his mind is trying to cope whats going on. He starts to shiver as he realizes what just happened and in what situation he just went in. For him its now even worse than before and he tries to grab his gun....she tries to hold his arm but he is strong and able to push her away.

She is a pacifist and absolutely disagrees in hurting or even killing sentinent beings. She has great empathy, thats why she pulled him out in the first place. She feels that this guy is driven by fear and not rational...but she also notices that he is not shooting...she aims with her bow at him and its a standoff...but when she goes closer....he retreats to keep distance, while screaming at her and angrily shouting. She somehow has to think that its interesting and kinda ironic, that with all his tech and imagined development...he behaves now exactly as any other cornered being.

His thoughts are quite different from her...mix of absolute aggression, fear and unstable panic...but he also underlying thinks why she pulled him out and did not kill him instantly, a thought that confuses him...his thoughts about this stop when he suddenly cant retreat any further and his shoulders bump into part of the wreck...he stares at her with wide eyes and also stops shouting but still pointing his gun at her...she stands still too but slowly puts her bow down, holding her hand infront her and indicating him to calm down...

He keeps staring at her...still thinking about what situation he is in...his technology brought him here, human smartness created all those incredible things...but it also failed and now he stands here, facing extreme danger, trapped in a hostile environment, lost and alone...well not alone anymore but he is very unsure if this company means good or bad...he figures how ironic this is...since it somehow mirrors the problems and situation all of humanity faces right now. Tears run down his face but he also giggles about that irony...he lowers his gun too but just keeps looking on her while sweeping tears away.

She decides to get closer and senses that this guy is no danger. She carefully watchs him and his reactions...she still has her left hand at her knife...but tries to avoid him seeing that, she looks into his eyes as she gets closer and reaches her hand out. He let it happen as she grabs his right wrist to get the weapon from him...once she achieved that she throws the gun away...while still holding his arm she looks him in the eyes...she has never seen one of the sky people so close...she sees his face through the glass of his mask....and over it the reflection of her own face..."

That is actually an interesting development I would say. So quite soon in the story he is confronted with facts that are in direct contrast to his beliefs and now he has to face that. He will find out who he truly is.

I think you can get quite far with an English spelling and grammar checker like the one in Microsoft Word. But maybe you don't need that if you are drawing a comic :)

I noticed some details that may need to be thought out better, like you mention the Na'vi is a pacifist, but she still carries weapons. And Erik wipes tears away despite wearing a breathing mask.

If you wish to read my story, you can find it at https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13906898/1/The-Tempest

I would like to give a warning up front. I am interested in history and one of the themes in Avatar is that history repeats itself far in the future, with for example colonialism, wars against native peoples, etc. With humanity driven off Pandora, I imagined a similar crisis on Earth to the historical one that lead to World War II, but which this time leads to a more or less united humanity now coming back to Pandora. I deliberately designed the human organization in the story with a lot of historical similarities. So as a German, you might be put off by it. But I tried to handle everything respectfully. It is basically about humanity in general (or at least that organization) not realizing what they have become, since it has been more than 200 years since WWII.

That is actually an interesting development I would say. So quite soon in the story he is confronted with facts that are in direct contrast to his beliefs and now he has to face that. He will find out who he truly is.

I think you can get quite far with an English spelling and grammar checker like the one in Microsoft Word. But maybe you don't need that if you are drawing a comic :)

I noticed some details that may need to be thought out better, like you mention the Na'vi is a pacifist, but she still carries weapons. And Erik wipes tears away despite wearing a breathing mask.

If you wish to read my story, you can find it at https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13906898/1/The-Tempest

I would like to give a warning up front. I am interested in history and one of the themes in Avatar is that history repeats itself far in the future, with for example colonialism, wars against native peoples, etc. With humanity driven off Pandora, I imagined a similar crisis on Earth to the historical one that lead to World War II, but which this time leads to a more or less united humanity now coming back to Pandora. I deliberately designed the human organization in the story with a lot of historical similarities. So as a German, you might be put off by it. But I tried to handle everything respectfully. It is basically about humanity in general (or at least that organization) not realizing what they have become, since it has been more than 200 years since WWII.
Oh dont worry, im iranian and just living in Germany. :) I did just read your story and like it alot, it describes pretty much what happenes again and again and sounds like a description of Germany in late 1920th or even my own country Iran in late 1970th

As for the tears...you are so right xD this happened because i was writing so fast blehhhh, of course he cant wipe his tears away. As for her being pacifist i think i did use maybe the wrong word. She has alot of empathy, that doesnt mean she cant defend herself.

And yes you are right, he faces a situation that puts his worldview upside down but he isnt alone in that, its also an event that breaks that specific Na'vi girls worldview. She quickly manages to read his mind and interacts without words with him in that situation. It amazes her but at same time makes her realize that she is able to do so not just because her great empathy...but because the thoughts, behavior and basic pattern of this "sky guy" are so similar to those of her people. When she holds his wrist and looks directly into his eyes she sees his face...but also hers. Thats the visual metaphor in this moment, if you know what i mean.

Oh dont worry, im iranian and just living in Germany. :) I did just read your story and like it alot, it describes pretty much what happenes again and again and sounds like a description of Germany in late 1920th or even my own country Iran in late 1970th
Ah I see. Indeed such comparable events happened a lot in the past. Great to read that you like my story. It seems to me that most people reading on FF.net are looking for happy, sugarcoated self-insert fics, and my story does not seem able to attract and satisfy that crowd. But that is OK, I wrote it specifically to stand out from the masses :)

As for the tears...you are so right xD this happened because i was writing so fast blehhhh, of course he cant wipe his tears away. As for her being pacifist i think i did use maybe the wrong word. She has alot of empathy, that doesnt mean she cant defend herself.
I did not mean to be picky. Those were just some minor things I noticed. I think overall your story ideas are compelling.

And yes you are right, he faces a situation that puts his worldview upside down but he isnt alone in that, its also an event that breaks that specific Na'vi girls worldview. She quickly manages to read his mind and interacts without words with him in that situation. It amazes her but at same time makes her realize that she is able to do so not just because her great empathy...but because the thoughts, behavior and basic pattern of this "sky guy" are so similar to those of her people. When she holds his wrist and looks directly into his eyes she sees his face...but also hers. Thats the visual metaphor in this moment, if you know what i mean.
I would be very curious to see how the drawn result of that scene would like like in the comic you have planned. Please indicate if/when you are releasing something, I would be interested in reading.

Ah I see. Indeed such comparable events happened a lot in the past. Great to read that you like my story. It seems to me that most people reading on FF.net are looking for happy, sugarcoated self-insert fics, and my story does not seem able to attract and satisfy that crowd. But that is OK, I wrote it specifically to stand out from the masses :)

I did not mean to be picky. Those were just some minor things I noticed. I think overall your story ideas are compelling.

I would be very curious to see how the drawn result of that scene would like like in the comic you have planned. Please indicate if/when you are releasing something, I would be interested in reading.

Thank you, its much work to do. I first draw the rough sketches and then polish them.

At moment i try to figure out how it develops further. She still holds his right wrist and looks into his eyes and this moment lasts a few seconds until he breaks the eye contact and looks away. She releases her grip too and both stand still. She tries to break the ice and points on herself saying..."MeritMut". She does so multiple times to tell him her name. He looks at her, then points on himself and stutters "Erik".

From here i try figure out what she can do. So far she is in full controle of the situation and i think she wants to help him and is also interested in him as a being. I guess she would not bring him to her village but rather to a place she considers safe?

I think those are pretty good for a couple of sketches.

One question, though. Is Erik a body builder? He kind of looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger ;).

Is that ok?
Not a problem. Don't mind me. I had just typed another post in another thread about the High Ground comic, where seemingly all characters, even children, were drawn like muscled men. So that was kind of getting ridiculous there. But this here with your character is fine, especially if you are basing him on a real life person.