Na'vi and discovering humans having multiple languages

Yeah, in all scifi the alien cultures are one, one language and culture. Earth and humans do not have that.

How would say Neytiri react to a human who doesn't speak english at all or as a first language? The Na'vi know english,but not of the thousands of other human languages like German, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, and so on.

It would be cool and amusing to see this in the sequels. The na'vi meet some of these humans who are non english speakers and how they respond to it. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, in all scifi the alien cultures are one, one language and culture. Earth and humans do not have that.
I think that the Pandoran Na'vity (humanity) speaks more than one language. If I consider that the universal language of Eywa is spiritual, chemical and neuronal signals, then the geographic/political factors will outweight the technology.

How would say Neytiri react to a human who doesn't speak english at all or as a first language? The Na'vi know english,but not of the thousands of other human languages like German, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, and so on.
I think she would probably be confused a bit because she's only heard one human language before then. That's normal.

It would be cool and amusing to see this in the sequels. The na'vi meet some of these humans who are non english speakers and how they respond to it.
Even though it seems to be an American mission, I think some friendly linguists or soldiers have talked about the other languages they speak. I agree with you.

It would be very intriguing indeed. :) I can see Neytiri utterly confused by the fact not all humans speak English. Worse, asking Jake didn't help as the human they meet doesn't speak english at all.

I (kind of, sort of) touched on that question in my fan novel, but didn't delve into it too deeply.

It would be interesting to see some of that in the sequel.